The history of mountain biking heralds from the days of the Klunkerz...the guys adapting normal 26” Scwhinn cruisers and taking them into the mountains to ride. Legendary Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, to name a few spearheading the revolution which was to develop mountain biking like no other. We salute the pioneers of mountain biking.
From those days mountain bikes have developed their own identity. Unique axle widths, geometry and of course modern suspension, all creating bikes that are now technical masterpieces, designed for off road, rough terrain; easier to handle, stronger, lighter and faster.
Mountain biking now can be generally broken into three categories. All mountain / enduro, cross county and downhill. With bikes being specifically engineered towards each sport for optimum performance.
Mountain biking brands we sell and love are Rocky Mountain, Merida, Ghost, Lapierre, and Onza. And we can guide you through the choice helping you get the right bike for you, depending on your requirements, dreams and budget. Come and see us to get your mountain biking adventure started!
Our Mountain Biking Brands
Check out our selection of MTB brands below, just click on a logo to see more from each bike manufacturer.
- Rocky Mountain - From Canada to The Lake District, Rocky Mountain Bicycles are beautiful and fun.
- Ghost - German engineering for your bike. Guaranteed to put some fun between your legs!
- Merida - Great bikes at amazing prices. All bases covered, from first mountain bike to race day pro.
- Lapierre - Fancy, french and so good to look at...and ride!
- Onza - Steel hardtails from the retro kings. Go hardcore on 27.5" wheels or rapid on 29" wheels.
Our Mountain Bike Recommendations
Check out our pick of the mountain bikes on offer at 4Play Cycles. We have heaps more in stock in store and can order any model you like.
The Merida One Twenty 7 500
We feel this bike really demonstrates how far mountain biking has been developed since its early days, and offers everything that an amazing mountain bike should, good looking, with full suspension, internal cabling, bolt through axles, 27.5 wheel size, 120mm travel (and much more!) at a price we never imagined was possible.